Sunday, July 11, 2010

Help Me, Rhonda

So here I sit.

On the couch that we just inherited from my late great grandma. 

It's an old lady couch, TO THE MAX.

I'm talkin like, sateen, floral print, tone-on-tone damask patterns, straight-up old lady couch. 

It's also a hide-a-bed.

But I digress.

So here I sit, on the old lady couch, eating my way through a half-gallon of homemade pico de gallo and drinking my way through a DELICIOUSLY floral extra pale ale, courtesy of Odell Brewing Co. in Ft. Collins, CO. I'm tellin ya, this is the life. I'm also not kidding about that half-gallon of homemade pico. Our garden kinda exploded this week, so we have tomatoes and onions and herbage coming out the wazoo. Also, I love craft beer. Remind me to blog about craft beer, sometime. I'll probably bore you all to death, but eh. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

ANYWAY, here I sit on the old lady couch, eating my way through a half-gallon of homemade pico and drinking a wonderful beer, watching the Cooking Channel.

For those of you who don't have the Cooking Channel, let me just describe it to you.

Food Network * a billion + shows about booze and world cuisine - Bobby Flay* = Cooking Channel.

Totally. Friggin. Fepic. 

I love this channel. It's...it's my drug. Seriously. I, being the foodie-in-training that I am, can NOT get enough of this channel.

Anyway, there's this show on the Cooking Channel called "Drink Up." It's hosted by some dude named Darryl Robinson. He would pretty much be my idol, if I could freakin stand to listen to him talk. Like, seriously. This guy...oh man. Just..yeah. Stay tuned about Dr. Mixologist.

The episode of Drink Up that I'm watching right now is all about vodka. I'm in heaven. It's such a wonderful and versatile spirit. It's just...yeah. You can use it to enhance so many dishes and drinks...hold on. Gimme a second. If I don't compose myself, I'm going to go off on a booze tangent, and anyone who knows me at all knows that once I get going on the booze, there is no turning me around. 

ANYWAY, back to Dr. Can'tspeak. Seriously. This guy can't speak. An entire 30 minute episode about vodka, and not ONCE did he pronounce the 'd' in the word. I just learned about 43640 ways to make "vocka cocktells", and that just annoys the shit out of me. 

Um...crap. My thought train just got de-railed. I'm now watching a Drink Up episode about white wine, and am equally riveted as I was by the vocka episode and the beer episode before that. 

I've also seriously just cleaned off that pico. Holy shit where did it all go? And my homemade tortilla chips? Mere crumbs. I...I think I have a problem.




* I hate Bobby Flay.

3 comments:

  1. I hate Bobby Flay too. With a passion. I need this cooking channel. Vodka is the greatest thing ever invented. Are you still going to have tomatoes at the end of the month? I just started liking tomatoes and I've been told I have to try one that's home grown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really really need this cooking channel. Please talk to your cable or satellite provider.

    Vodka and I are becoming the best of friends, thanks to your dear "LoLo".

    Bobby Flay is a poser. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... it's been a while since I caught up on your blog. I had to read everything that fit on the screen and kept wanting to comment, yet had to keep reading. Then I re-read. Then I wanted to comment more. I finally wrote notes down so I could comment all at once instead of blowing up your blackberry with seven comment notifications. How's this for a ridiculously long friggin' comment about comments?
    Anyway, here are my notes, for what it's worth:

    1. Bud heavy, AKA diesel fuel. Love it. It's so deliciously filling and heavy in a happy way. But I always feel like an old man when I drink it, which is weird. I'm not sure what to make of that.

    2. I love Shel Silverstein. Thanks for reminding my of that. I'm re-living fourth grade all over again.

    3. I had to scroll down real fast to avoid looking at that big muthafuckin snake. Yours is the second blog I've read tonight that describes a snake encounter. I am officially sitting Indian style at my kitchen table to try and stop the sensation of snakes crawling across my feet. Thanks.

    4. I vote down on the foot tattoo, but up on the Powercat. Maybe lower calf area? And not because I think foot tattoos are overly non-manly, I'm just not a fan of looking at feet. But that's just me.

    5. Have you ever had Jolly Rancher Jelly Beans? Best thing ever.

    6. I love Shel Silverstein AND Jack Prelutsky. Now I'm wondering what ever happened to my fourth grade teacher, and will have to google "Where the Sidewalk Ends." Again, thanks. And I mean that one.

    7. You're blogging daily. You rock.

    8. Are there limits to how long comments can be? I hope not. I think that's it. Over and out.

    ReplyDelete