Sunday, July 18, 2010

Stuff and Things...

So my Internet browser of choice is Mozilla Firefox. I love this browser. Quite possibly more than I should, but it's great.

One of the awesome things about Firefox is that it has a lot of available add-ons that you can get to more or less enhance your web-browsing experience. One add-on that I love is called StumbleUpon. Basically, when you sign up for this particular add-on, you fill out an interests profile and install  a toolbar. Then, once the toolbar is installed, you click the button labeled, "Stumble", and based on your interests, Firefox finds a random web page that it thinks you will like. 94 times out of 100, SU (StumbleUpon) has served me so well that it's almost baffling. Anyway, today, because I was bored, I decided to pop in a DVD (Lonesome Dove, my favorite movie in the world), fix a milkshake of the chocolate-banana variety, and go on a Stumble Marathon.

Anyway, the first site that popped up was titled, "Sixteen Things That It Took Me 50 Years To Learn", and is actually a mini-column written by Dave Barry. If you don't know who Dave Barry is, I'm sorry. He's a humor columnist and is just one of the funniest people out there. I love his stuff. Anyway, back to the site. These 16 things were presented in list form, first of all. I'm sure you all know how happy that made me. Second of all, these 16 things are actually completely worth reading, and sharing. So...I'm gonna do that.
  1. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight saving time.
  2. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment. -I think that this is a particularly valuable tidbit...-
  3. The most powerful force in the universe is gossip.  
  4. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.
  5. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 111. -I can only hope I make it to that age. There's gonna be ONE HELL of a party.-  
  6. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illenss." -e.g. Running.-
  7. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share your religious views with them.
  8. If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and will not achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings." 
  9. The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to annoy the people who are not in them. -How right you are, Mr. Berry.-
  10. If there really is a God who created the entire universe with all of its glories, and He decides to deliver a message to humanity, He will NOT use, as His messenger, a person on cable TV with a bad hairstyle.  
  11. You should not confuse your career with your life. -I'm writing this one down on a post-it note right now and sticking it on my mirror.-
  12. A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person. -Always, but ALWAYS tip your server. Seriously.- 
  13. No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. -And I hate it.-
  14. When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. -Very often, that individual is me.-  
  15. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and do it. -This is something I should take to heart.-   
  16. Your friends love you, anyway. -This is something I REALLY need to remember. Seriously.-

Well, I know that this wasn't the funniest blog post I've had, but I hope that that list up there made you think a little bit, and hopefully you take something away from it. Stay tuned for a Lonesome Dove-related post tonight. I've got a fever, and the only cure is more blogging. 

Hasta pronto!
Michael

1 comment:

  1. #2 is right on. I know this because I've been asked, "When are you due" when I was...not due!

    #12 I disagree with your comment to always tip your waiter. Twice in my life not leaving a tip was totally warranted. So was the message I left on the napkin explaining why I didn't leave a tip.

    ReplyDelete